Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Italy: Part Six

The Italy tour has officially come to an end. Yes, I fell in love with Italy but I am happy to be off the road and back in my own bed. We still have performance in Croatia coming up and rehearsals for upcoming ballets at the beginning of the new year. 
Italy was simply amazing. This tour showed me land and cities that I would never have seen on my own. It showed me that smaller cities can offer just as much as bigger cities. It made me realize that there is so much in the world and other ways to live, eat and think. I have only seen Italy in movies and pictures but the experience in person in much different. People are smiling and proud of what they have. This trip served as a really wonderful lesson to me. 
One shock was that Italians really DON’T speak English! I assumed that after living in Split, I wouldn’t come across a country that spoke LESS English. Well, Italy definitely speaks less English. However, with the little Croatian and Spanish I know, and strong use of hands, I was able to communicate well enough to get what I needed. I think I might start taking Italian to learn the language officially. 

So a million pictures, kisses, noodles, and miles later, I am back in Split a wiser person. I have seen the boot shaped country that others have talked about so often. I ate their food, seen their homes, performed on their stages, spoke (a little of) their language, and met their locals. And all of those stories that I have of Italy and all it shared with me, will become fond memories!

Theater in Ancona

Ancona

Ancona

Ancona

The ship that took us back to Split



1 comment:

  1. Scotty, it sounds like your time in Italy was just amazing. I am so so happy for you! And, you are a fantastic writer! Thank you for sharing your adventures! Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete