Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Life in the Theater

We had our first day in the theater. Well, I must say that as an American, the only time you see a theater like the one in Split is in the movies. A theater of such detail and structure just isn’t seen where I come from. This is truly a house for art. This is a theater. 
A performer is always honored when they get to perform for a full house or on a beautiful stage. Its a wonderful reward to get after all the hours you put into rehearsals. When you step onstage and look out into the house and see such beauty, history and detail, its thrilling and all the pain and nerves are replaced with chills of excitement. 
The theater here is definitely a home for many people. I walked in backstage and passed a costume room full of older women sewing up some corsets for an upcoming production. I walked along a rehearsal hall where the opera was practicing for their premier of Hamlet. I was watching the orchestra leader rehearsing the score of Giselle with his baton. I passed offices, dressings rooms and storage rooms. This is a theater with history. When I walked onstage for the first time, I looked out into the house and just gawked at all the detailed moulding around the balconies, arched and ceiling. To all the other dancers in the company, they are use to theaters like this. To me, it was a treat.
I have taken some pictures of the theater. Unfortunately, the house lights weren’t on so I was only able to capture pictures that are dark and grainy. I will try to take more during a tech rehearsal with lighting. 
These are from tech rehearsal today. No costumes or lighting. 
This is a view from a seat in the house looking just above the stage. 
A view of the box seats that overlook the stage.
A view of the balconies.
A view of the ceiling. Again, horrible quality!
This is ONE of the sewing rooms. No one spoke English in there but I was still able to make them laugh!
This is a picture of tech rehearsal from second act of Giselle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment